Agriculture, Livestock And Fisheries
- CEC Member
- One Chief Officer
- Crop development and Irrigation
- Livestock and fisheries
- Veterinary services
Strategic Objectives of the Department
- To grow the proportion of high-quality agriculture to one half of all land under agricultural production.
- To develop water for production
- To invest in, encourage or otherwise promote processing of agricultural products.
- Formulation, implementation and monitoring of legislations, regulations and policies in the Agriculture, Animal Control & Welfare sector.
- Promote and co-invest with private sector and National Government MDAs to commercialize and mechanize agriculture and livestock subsectors.
- Regulate inputs supply to meet the quality, efficacy and safety standards set out by the regulators under respective Acts of National Assembly and County Assembly.
- Promote and enforce the sale of agricultural produce by application of grades and weights as established by legislation and industry/sector self-regulating or membership organizations.
- To co-invest with private sector in production, post-harvest management and value addition activities to raise the productivity, value and incomes of stakeholders.
- To develop and promote market and safety standards for effective Regulation of the sector.
- To eliminate food insecurity.
- To develop market access and trade partnerships with institutional clients, County Governments and global markets.
- To strengthen Institutional capacity for enterprise development of businesses in the sector.
- To promote production and testing (trials) of mid-to-high value seeds and other planting materials in partnership with breeders and agro-enterprises.
- To create an enabling environment for Agricultural development.
- Build good relations with industry stakeholders towards improved participation, collaboration and partnerships.
- Diversify agricultural practices and products to create opportunities for innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Create employment opportunities in the agriculture sector.
- Develop commodity value chains and commercialize agricultural production.
- Build adequate capacity in the department through competent human resources, financial resources, supporting physical and structural resources to undertake specialized functions for the agriculture industry.
The core functions of this department include the following:
Crop development & Irrigation
- Promote manufacturing based on agricultural raw materials.
- Provision of technical guidance in crop husbandry management.
- Promote and ensure the manufacturing of tools, equipment and machines used in crop production, Irrigation, food packaging , food storage, processing and adding value to agricultural output.
- Supporting applied agricultural research and promoting technology delivery and mechanization of agricultural practices for improved production.
- Provision of infrastructure to promote agricultural production and marketing as well as agri-processing and value chains.
- Development, implementation and co-ordination of programs in Plant Disease and Pests Control in the agricultural sector.
- Enforcement of regulations and standards on quality control of inputs, produce and products from the agricultural sector.
- Promotion of market access for agricultural produces.
- Development of programmes to intervene on soil and water management and conservation of the natural resources base for agriculture.
- Collecting, maintaining and managing information on agricultural sector.
- Improve crop production for Food security and Agri-Business.
- Provision of high-quality subsidized farm inputs (fertilizer, certified seeds, seedlings etc) to farmers for demonstration and relief purposes.
- Identification and training of high-value fruit tree nursery operators and owners.
- Agricultural extension services including capacity building, outreach and market assessment.
- Land development and management services such as the construction of water pans and irrigation infrastructure for horticultural production.
- To localize and disseminate weather/climate information services.
- Enhancing accessibility to affordable credit and insurance services for farmers.
- Management of agricultural training centers and agricultural mechanization stations.
- Land development services such as the construction of water pans for horticultural production for food security.
- Formulating, implementing, monitoring, and reviewing county-specific policies.
- Developing and enacting legislation and regulatory frameworks for county-specific policies.
- Implementing national and county specific policies and legislation and
- Grow proportion of agricultural land under Irrigation to at least one half of the total.
Livestock and fisheries
- Co-invest in, encourage or otherwise promote feedlots and other modern livestock production systems.
- Co-invest in, encourage or otherwise promote hay, animal feeds formulation and production.
- Promote manufacturing based on livestock products and by-products.
- Promote manufacturing of inputs for livestock production.
- Promote and ensure the manufacturing of tools, equipment and machines used in livestock production, Irrigation, milk and meat packaging, storage, processing and adding value to livestock output.
- Manage quality assurance for livestock feeds, Animal breeding, conservation of genetic material, monitoring and Evaluation of Livestock development projects.
- Regulate inputs supply to meet the quality, efficacy and safety standards set out by the regulators under respective Acts.
- Value addition of livestock products processing, including leather development and agribusiness, training livestock producers, processors and market groups.
- Promote & Support Livestock marketing and Livestock value addition.
- Establishment and management of livestock marketing systems and Livestock structures.
- Proper management and rehabilitation of rangelands.
- Promote Apiculture ( promotion and support of beekeeping production)
- Organizing and streamlining of honey production and its marketing value chain.
- Promote and support production in emerging livestock.
- Provision of general extension service in modern & innovative livestock production technologies through trainings, demonstration, farm interventions, Exhibitions, exchange tours etc.
- Ensure quality assurance in all livestock production extension services provided in the County.
- Supporting and nurturing livestock related SMEs to develop viable / bankable business plans.
- Coordinate the management and development of county fisheries.
- Promote and ensure the manufacturing of tools, equipment and machines used in fish production, fish packaging, fish storage, processing and adding value to agricultural output.
- Formation of fishery enterprises
- Procurement of fingerlings.
- Training of fish farmers.
- Promotion of fish quality assurance, value addition and marketing.
- Provision and promotion of extension services to the fisherie stakeholders in the value chain.
- Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of fisheries projects and programmes.
- Enforcement of fisheries regulations and compliance with management measures.
- Digitization and demarcation and development of maps for cage culture and other potential areas.
- Zonation for aquaculture-county specific disease control.
- County fish seed bulking units.
- On-farm trials.
- Development and maintenance of fish landing stations and jetties, fish auction centers, and fish landing fees.
- Demarcation of all fish breeding areas and fencing of fish landing stations.
- Fish trade licensing and fish movement permits.
- Collection of fish production statistics and
- Implementation of fisheries policies, fisheries management measures and regulations and limiting access to fishing.
- Promote manufacturing of veterinary inputs, including medicines.
- Promote and ensure the manufacturing of tools, equipment, and machines used in the provision of veterinary services.
- Supervise Disease vector control as well as Veterinary Public health & Extension Programs within the County.
- Ensure revenue collection as per the County Finance Act.
- Coordinating, Monitoring, and Reviewing all Disease and Vector control activities in the County.
- Facilities for accommodation, care & burial of animals.
- Licensing of dogs.
- Animal disease surveillance and control
- Leather value chain development
- Establish and operationalize the County Veterinary Diagnostic/Laboratory Services, coupled with a robust Participatory Disease Search (PDS) and Surveillance systems (e-surveillance).
- Encourage Disease Free Zones and Organized Livestock screening services across all Livestock holding/Sales yards.
- Provide regulated Hides and skins and other related products development activities in the County.
- Licensing of abattoirs as well as tanneries.
- Supervise all Private and public Animal Health Providers in the County as per The Veterinary Surgeons and para-veterinarians Act
- Establish Real-Time Community Disease Reporting and Response mechanisms across the County.
- Establish and operationalize county vaccines cold chain facility mechanism and
- Fish health certification.
Located near County Commissioners office,
P.O Box 1271-10400,
Nanyuki Town, Kenya.