TRAINING AND RESEARCH
Laikipia county has only one Fully-Fledged University, Laikipia University, Three Technical Training Institutes, Ten Public Vocational Training Institutes, One Church-Run VTI and Two Medical Colleges.
It has several private colleges and institutes located mostly in urban centres.
Laikipia University - Main Campus
Laikipia University Main Campus is located 50 km from Nakuru town and 11 km from Nyahururu Town, along the Nakuru - Nyahururu Highway.
It is situated in a serene environment which is conducive for learning.
The Main Campus is the University nerve centre where most courses are offered and has the majority of students.
The Main Campus has numerous facilities ranging from classrooms, laboratories, library, cyber cafe, bookshop, sports & games facilities, hostels for student accommodation, a health centre, restaurant, farm and Lake Chacha among others.
Laikipia University - Nyahururu Campus
The Campus was established in 2002 as the Centre for Continuing Education to cater for the training needs of the local community and offer educational opportunities to those interested in pursuing both vocational and higher education.
The Campus is located at the Gatero Building. It is also a few metres from the Nyahururu Town Clock and Kenol Petrol Station.
The Campus has both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and a number of diploma and certificate programmes.
The programmes are as follows:
- Master of Education (Educational Planning and Management)
- Master of Education (Curriculum and Instruction)
- Master of Education (Guidance & Counselling)
- Bachelor of Education (Arts) Secondary option
- Bachelor of Education (science)- regular & school Based
- Bachelor of Education (Arts) Primary option
- Bachelor of Education (ECDE) School Based mode
- Diploma in Education (Arts and science)- regular and school-based mode
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Information Communication Technology
- Diploma in Information Communication Technology
- Computer Repair and Maintenance
- Certificate in Computer Applications
- Certificate in information and communication Technology
- Bridging in Mathematics
- Masters of art in (History, Religion, Kiswahili, Literature and Linguistic)
- Masters of art (Counselling Psychology)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Bachelor of art (Criminology and Security Studies)
- Bachelor of science in Community Development
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science
- Diploma and Certificate in Library and Records Management